A personal loan may be the solution if you need additional money to cover a vacation, start a company, or pay for other costs.
A personal loan may be the answer if you need some additional money to help you pay for a holiday, start a company, or cover other costs. However, there are several questions you must ask yourself on the road. Which lender should you borrow from is one of the first questions that comes to mind?
Traditionally, Australians have gone to one of the “big four” banks when seeking a loan, but recent scandals, coupled with increased consumer awareness, are prompting more people to consider alternatives, especially online where personal loans typically offer better rates, and quicker approval and a faster turn-around.
The key differences between applying for a loan in person or through an online platform are outlined below to assist you to make an educated selection.
How long does it take?
The time it takes to process your loan application and distribute funds is one of the most important distinctions. This might be the dealbreaker if you need money right away.
It can take anything from a few days to a few weeks for a bank or credit union to grant your loan, and you may end up waiting the same amount of time to receive your money. There might be several causes for this, including:
- However, such institutions are more difficult to approach because they usually have stricter lending criteria than internet lenders.
- Loans must be underwritten by personnel.
- If you’re applying for a loan with a different bank than your main bank account, the money will take longer to transfer.
- If you’re really busy, it’s possible that you won’t be able to go to the bank in person for a few days.
When you apply for a loan online, you may submit your application at any time and it will usually be processed immediately. Your loan might be authorized and fully funded the next day, as long as you provide the correct papers.
Documents I need
If you don’t have everything the bank needs to see, delays might occur with your loan application. This is especially crucial if you’re submitting an application in person, as you may waste a trip if you don’t have all of the documents required by the institution.
In many cases, banks have more stringent lending criteria and need to see considerably more documentation than internet lenders. You’ll need to bring the following items if you want to apply for an unsecured personal loan with a particular company:
- Identity documents (such as your passport, driver’s license, or another accepted form of photo ID)
- Prove you have a steady income ( payslips and information about your employment or self-employment)
- Investments (accounts, properties, cars, and other assets)
- Liabilities (credit accounts that are currently open and other liabilities)
Even if you have all of the requested paperwork, a bank may refuse to accept you if your credit score is poor. Online lenders are more accepting of low credit ratings and don’t demand to see as many documents.
What is the lowest price?
A quick comparison of interest rates and other loan conditions will show that internet lenders generally offer greater rates, allow you to borrow more money, and provide you with greater choices in repayment than traditional lenders (though this varies according to your credit score).
The main reason for this is that online lenders and peer-to-peer marketplaces have lower overhead expenses than physical businesses, which must pay wages as well as an expensive high street location. Online lenders are able to provide more competitive borrowing rates.